Columbus, Ohio— One of the annual rites of spring takes place every February with the largest home and garden show in the region, The Columbus Dispatch 62nd Spring Home & Garden Show presented by Ohio Mulch. This year the popular event collaborated with Columbus Metropolitan Library to delight guests with “Storybook Gardens” – ten inspired backyard garden oases from Columbus Landscape Association members inspired by these tales: The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Lorax, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes, Charlotte's Web, The Wind in the Willows, The Secret Garden, Hansel and Gretel, The Tortoise and the Hare, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The Dispatch will spotlight a dozen local authors, and Pete The Cat author Eric Litwin will appear with two popular stage presentations on Monday, Feb. 19th – President’s Day, a day off school for kids. Library card holders and teachers can attend with special admission offers.
“Partnering with the Home & Garden Show gives us a tremendous opportunity to connect with families and inspire a love of reading,” says Columbus Metropolitan Library CEO Patrick Losinski.
In addition, the 8-day event will feature Magical Backyard Retreats for ladies, including a backyard kitchen/pergola, a wine and book nook styled by Edwin Loy Home; a chic gardener's retreat syled by Hoover Gardens; plus eight days of home expertise from local gurus and craftsmen; how-to sessions and demonstrations; giveaways; HGTV celebrity appearances, and much more. Attendees can also register at the show for an opportunity to win part of $15,000 in prizes and cash to spend with participating companies.
The Home & Garden Show is proud to partner with the leading companies in home improvement, landscaping and gardening in central Ohio, including our top sponsors Ohio Mulch, Rosati Windows, Rite Rug Flooring, Arrow Roofing and Lowe’s.
Daily highlights include:
• Every day: info and educational sessions for avid and amateur gardeners, organized by the OSU Extension office that runs the Master Gardener program; “The Edible Garden” presented by Franklin County Master Gardener Volunteers featuring a real raised-bed vegetable garden, and every day after 4 p.m.: two-for-one discount admission for library card holders and wine tasting in the Gardens;
• Saturday, Feb. 17: Opening Day with star of DIY Network’s Bath Crashers Matt Muenster, and a Househunters Panel featuring Columbus locals who have been featured on the show including Cameron and Alissa from WSYX TV;
• Sunday, Feb. 18: DIY day Tom Silva from “This Old House” will appear live for two presentations and a selfie session; Lowe’s will present four hours of DIY workshops;
• Monday, Feb. 19: Library Day Pete the Cat Author Eric Litwin’s stage show, plus The Dispatch’s celebration of notable regional authors including Margaret Peterson Haddix, Mindy McGinnis, Jennifer Maschari, Robin Yokum and more – 16 authors in all, plus special library Storytime and readings in the Gardens;
• Wednesday, Feb. 21: Gardening Lovers Day with a special emphasis on garden programming for both the casual and expert gardener with presentations on both stages all day; plus two appearances and book signing by best-selling author and horticulturist Tracy DiSabato-Aust;
• Thursday, Feb. 21: Alive Craft Beer Night (additional charge) presented by Third Sun Solar, that includes special food samples from six local Dine Originals restaurants, plus Dine Originals dueling-chef stage demos from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. when every half hour 10 audience members will receive the Dine Originals Columbus Deck with 52 coupons to local restaurants ($520 value);
• Friday, Feb. 22: Alive Craft Beer Night presented by Third Sun Solar, featuring tastes of new and old favorites (additional charge, no food samples on Friday).
• Saturday, Feb. 24: Kids day, with LEGOLAND Discovery Center onsite all day – kids will meet Bertie, the mascot and build their own unique designs in giant LEGO® brick pits, plus Columbus Zoo animals and other special kids’ activities like Lowe’s Plant & Grow and free Child ID’s from Franklin County Sheriff. Also, a stage appearance from husband-and-husband team PJ and Thomas McKay, from HGTV’s “Down to the Studs.”
• Sunday, Feb. 25: Pop-Up Arts Fest, created by The Columbus Arts Festival, spotlighting 10 local artists who will display and sell their art, and participate in sessions on the Simple Bath Home Stage.
Inside the show’s two buildings, guests will find 350+ local, regional and national craftsmen, and professionals covering every area of the home, outside and inside. Attendees can explore emerging trends in homes and gardens, with access to plenty of expert advice. Plus companies will feature exclusive offers only available to attendees, like Ohio Mulch $100 certificates available for $80 only at the show, and free tomato cages to every guest who wants them.
Show hours are as follows:
• Saturdays, Feb. 17th and 24th 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Sundays, Feb. 18th and 25th 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Monday, Feb. 19th 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Tuesday, Feb. 20 CLOSED
• Wednesday Feb. 21st, Thursday Feb. 22nd and Friday, Feb 23rd noon to 8 p.m.
Spring Home & Garden Show presented by Ohio Mulch will take place on Feb. 17 through Feb. 25 at the Ohio Expo Center at the State Fairgrounds, Bricker & Celeste Buildings located at 717 E. 17th Ave. Admission for adults is $13 at the door; $10 plus convenience fee online, discount courtesy of Logan AC & Heat Services. Guests can pick up a $3 off coupon at Central Ohio Lowe’s locations; and special discounts for Library card holders when they present their library card at the ticket window: $3 discount anytime, two-for-one admission on Monday Feb. 19 (Library Day) and every day after 4 p.m. Children 17 and younger are admitted for free courtesy of Parkfield Insulation. Teachers (K-12) receive free admission on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with ID, courtesy of OCLC, as do Military and First Responders, courtesy of Hamilton Contractors. Attendees can return to the show for free with non-transferrable re-entry passes available at the information booths. Parking is $5 cash per visit. Fans can “Like” the show on Facebook to learn more about vendors and receive news updates. They can also follow the show on Twitter @DispatchHGShow for the latest updates.